Monday, September 25, 2023

India vs Australia: Shreyas Iyer delivers epic statement on 'stealing' Virat Kohli's No 3 spot

Shreyas Iyer made a resounding comeback to the Indian side with a superb century that paved the way for India’s impressive 99-run victory in the second ODI against Australia. Iyer, who had to undergo back surgery and was sidelined for six months, hit his stride almost immediately and forged a match-winning partnership with Shubman Gill. He was dismissed after scoring 105 runs off 90 balls.

Reflecting on his journey, Iyer, who was awarded Player of the Match, said that he had worked tirelessly in recent months and there were moments where he felt quite isolated, but kept working hard.

The 28-year-old cricketer made his return during the Asia Cup, but was then sidelined once again after a back spasm flared up in the middle of the tournament. He said that he was thrilled to be back in the dressing room as he wanted to be with the team even when he was watching the action unfold on television.

During this conversation, Iyer also said that he was quite flexible and had confidence in his game to be able to deliver at any batting position. However, he said that there was no chance he would be able to flick away the number 3 position from ‘all time batting great’ Virat Kohli.

“I am flexible, ready to bat any position, whatever my team needs me to do. Virat (Kohli) is one of the greats, there’s no chance of stealing that (number 3) spot from him. I just need to keep scoring wherever (at any position) I bat,” Iyer said at the post-match presentation.

“I keep telling myself competition is against me. It is about mindset that I maintain especially when the chips are down. My mind was fluctuating at times but I was trying to stay away from the outside noise. As they say ignorance is bliss so taking one step a time and staying in the present and not thinking about what happened and what will happen in the future.”

“I was desperate to come back and come back strong. I was waiting to convert the starts which I got in the previous games. Today I got the opportunity, I am grateful,” said Iyer.

“To be honest I was not doubting my abilities because I knew I was batting brilliantly in the nets, also the start I got against Pakistan (in the Asian Cup). Just a matter of one innings and I knew it was around the corner, thankfully I was able to execute,” he added.

Given the circumstances, Iyer rates his third ODI hundred very highly. “It was one of my finest innings especially coming out of an injury. I was eagerly waiting to come back and perform for the team. All these game we are getting before the World Cup, it is a good platform for us, especially me as I have not got a lot of games under my belt.”

India had rested Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Hardik Pandya, Kuldeep Yadav, and Jasprit Bumrah for the first two matches against Australia. Now, with the series in the bag, these players will walk back into the side and it will be interesting to see the players who make away for the experienced players.

Regarding the selection process, KL Rahul clarified during post-match presentation, “It’s not our decision to make; our roles are well-defined. Everyone in the XI needs to focus on their role. Everyone has experienced this before; you must keep improving and await your opportunities.”

The loss was Australia’s fifth consecutive ODI defeat, and stand-in captain Steve Smith acknowledged the need to address issues and turn things around as the team heads into the World Cup.

Iyer refused to read too much into Australia’s form ahead of their World Cup clash in Chennai on 8 October.

“We know how the Australian team is. The way they plan their stuff, I am sure they are playing these games as practice games and they want to build momentum going forward.

“They are experimenting ahead of the World Cup and also they are giving chances to players who can get a fair chance to see how the conditions are in India.

“At the same time they play challenging cricket, I am sure they would be planning well in the future games against India and also when I come in to bat. We are never going to take them lightly, they can hurt you at times.”



from Firstpost Sports Latest News https://ift.tt/O04XDNx

No comments:

Post a Comment