Thursday, September 28, 2023

Exclusive: 'I was not into any sports', Sift Kaur Samra reveals why she took up shooting as a sport

In the ongoing 2023 Asian Games in Hangzhou, Sift Kaur Samra has become a reputed name in shooting. ‘

The 22-year-old won gold at the women’s 50m rifle 3-positions individual event, and that too, with a world record score.

She finished the category with a score of 469.6, ahead of China’s Zhang Qiongyue and Sift’s compatriot Ashi Chouksey, who won silver and bronze respectively.

That was not all. Sift also won silver in the women’s 50m rifle 3-positions team event, after teaming up with Ashi Chouksey and Manini Kaushik.

For someone who is not into sports to come out and win a couple of medals at the Asian Games is no mean feat. In an interview with Firstpost, Sift revealed who was her inspiration behind taking up shooting as a sport.

” I was not into any sports. There was one Karan Sekhon, he is a shotgun shooter. He introduced me to shooting. He told my dad, “Sift should start shooting. He went to the World University Games and won two more internationals. I watched him on TV,” said Sift on the Mic Up segment of First Sports show, during a chat with Rupha Ramani.

“This year, the same time, I went to World University Games. During the opening ceremony, I was like, “I want this. I want the blazer with me, for that I think I started shooting,” she added.

Sift said she goes by the advice whatever her coaches give.

“Shooting is a sport that requires focus and patience. For that, I don’t do anything special. I just stay happy and don’t think about, and don’t think about shooting the 24 hours. When I enter the shooting range, then I focus on my shooting. I do what my coaches teach me. Coaches tell me not to panic, just be calm and be normal. Staying happy and cheerful is my thing,” she said.



from Firstpost Sports Latest News https://ift.tt/9CH2D4U

No comments:

Post a Comment