Sunday, December 10, 2023

Kashvee Gautam on WPL ambitions: "Have to give my 100% for Gujarat Giants. Can get selected for India if I do well"

Kashvee Gautam, 20, made history on Saturday as she became India’s most expensive uncapped player at the WPL 2024 Auctions in Mumbai after Gujarat Giants paid Rs 2 crore for her services. JioCinema WPL experts Aakash Chopra and Reema Malhotra spoke to Kashvee and her parents about the rapid turn of events. Excerpts:

On Gujarat Giants paying Rs 2 crore for her

Kashvee Gautam: I am very excited to be a part of Gujarat Giants. It’s quite unbelievable at the moment. I was travelling in the team bus after practice and was informed about the auction by a teammate. The amount kept rising and I was selected.

On joining a team where former India captain Mithali Raj is the mentor

Kashvee Gautam: It’s a huge opportunity for me to showcase my skills. We have always looked up to Mithali ji. It’s a great opportunity for me to interact with her and seek tips from her.

On whom she called first after the announcement was made

Kashvee Gautam: I called my coach after getting the news.

On things she learnt watching the 1st season of the WPL

Kashvee Gautam: I think teams need to be more impactful in the lower middle order batting. They need to accelerate in the last 3-4 overs, so I have practiced accordingly. I have worked on range hitting. I have to be flexible with my bowling, to be able to bowl well with both the new and old balls.

On the batters whose wickets will bring her maximum joy

Kashvee Gautam: I think Alyssa Healy or any other foreign batter like Hayley Matthews.

On how close she is to fulfilling her dream of playing for India

Kashvee Gautam: I have to give my 100 percent for Gujarat Giants. If I do well there, I think I can be selected from there.

On any gift that she intends to giver her parents or herself now

Kashvee Gautam: As of now it feels unbelievable. I did not know how to react after I got the news and was wondering what was going on. All the credit for what I am goes to my parents. I think I will add a chain to my collection first!

On her cricketing journey so far

Kashvee Gautam: When you start off, there are a few doubts that creep in, but as and when you start growing, you begin reaping the rewards of your hard work. The picture is clear for me now. I know I want to go on and play for India and perform well there.

On Kashvee going to Gujarat Giants

Sudesh Sharma, Kashvee Gautam’s father: Kashvee has worked really hard for this. The last season didn’t go well for her, but this time she really worked very hard and hopefully she’ll do well for Gujarat Titans.

Kashvee’s mother on her daughter’s progress: She began playing cricket from the age of 13 and what you see today is the result of her hard work. We always trusted her hard work and will continue doing so in the future. She is also a very good student and always scores above 90%. She is a second-year student at Khalsa College and manages her time very well. The aggression you see in her is restricted only to the field of play. At home, she is very cool and calm. She is of reserved nature. Our dream is to see her play for India one day.



from Firstpost Sports Latest News https://ift.tt/1qiuNws

No comments:

Post a Comment